Bcom 275 Demonstrative Communication Essay

740 WordsSep 27, 20113 Pages
Demonstrative Communication There are many levels and moving parts in communication. We rely on both verbal and non-verbal forms of communication in order to send, receive, translate and respond to each other (Cheesebro, O’Connor, Rios, 2010). The spoken or written word only comprises of about 7% of our communication with each other. The other 93% is made up of voice quality and non-verbal communication (Heathfield, 2011). Non-verbal communication or demonstrative communication comes in many forms. It includes body language, facial expressions, eye contact, posture, touch and tone of language. Typically, the demonstrative forms of communication help to reinforce the spoken or written communication. Often, the message that is…show more content…
For example, during the campaign trail, politicians need to stop at different venues to meet the citizens and deliver a speech. If the politician did not shake everyone’s hand that they meet, have great posture and smile during the delivery of their speech they would not receive the support that they need to feel confident that they can win the election. The strong handshake and good posture conveys confidence on a level that is not spoken in words. Active listening is also an integral part in the receipt of a message. Part of a listener’s responsibility is to provide feedback, making communication a two-person affair, and as important, senders must seek out and attend to the feedback that is offered by their receivers (Cheesebro, O’Connor, Rios, 2010). By actively listening to the sender, we can translate and respond to the message appropriately. Through active listening, we can develop respect and trust with the sender, increase productivity, maintain a “cooler head”, increased confidence and remembering the important information that the sender is trying to convey to us (Cheesebro, O’Connor, Rios, 2010). It is believed that we only take in 50% of what we are listening to at any given time so it is crucial that in communication, we extend to each other the same courtesy as the sender as we do as the receiver. Active listening is more than just hearing what the sender is

More about Bcom 275 Demonstrative Communication Essay

Open Document