preview

The Minidoka Dispersal Project

Decent Essays
Minidoka officially closed on January 2, 1946, however internees who were “sponsored” by outside supporters to work or attend school began leaving years earlier. The majority of the remaining internees started leaving camp during the fall of 1945; and October 26 is considered the closing day. On February 10, 1946 Minidoka was turned over to the U. S. Bureau of Reclamation for the dispersal of land, structures and resources. Returning soldiers were given land and structures in a lottery or received first choice in purchasing land and structures. Area farmers had the opportunity to buy land and structures also. The dispersal project continued into the 1960s. Today the majority of the original Camp Minidoka is privately owned, with reused structures
    Get Access