MACROECONOMICS
MACROECONOMICS
14th Edition
ISBN: 9781337794985
Author: Baumol
Publisher: CENGAGE L
Bartleby Related Questions Icon

Related questions

Question

Low interest rates means low inflation which means depreciated currency. This stimulates businessmen to invest abroad as interest rates are low. How can they invest abroad if the currency is depreciated? Wouldn't that be illogical and unfeasible? (According to Mankiw's textbook)

Lower Interest rates encourage additional investment spending, which gives the economy a boost in times of slow economic growth. (Investopedia) Is this talking about investment spending abroad or investment spending in general? If Investment abroad increases how can that boost the economy? Aren't those statements contradictory?

Recently, Turkey has experienced high inflation and high interest rates. IN spite of that its currency depreciated at historical levels. Is this because of other reasons than high inflation and high interest rates? Do we normally assume "ceteris paribus" when talking about this correlation? Even though its currency depreciated, there were investments made in Turkey. Why?

Expert Solution
Check Mark
Blurred answer
Knowledge Booster
Economics
Learn more about
Need a deep-dive on the concept behind this application? Look no further. Learn more about this topic, economics and related others by exploring similar questions and additional content below.
Similar questions
  • Suppose that you hold a piece of land in the city of London that you may want to sell in one year. As a U.S. resident, you are concerned with the dollar value of the land. Assume that if the British economy booms in the future, the land will be worth £2,000, and one British pound will be worth $1.50. If the British economy slows down, on the other hand, the land will be worth less, say, £1,500, but the pound will be stronger, say, $1.60 per pound. You feel that the British economy will experience a boom with a 60 percent probability and a slowdown with a 40 percent probability. Required: Estimate your exposure (b) to the exchange risk. Note: Negative amount should be indicated by a minus sign. Compute the variance of the dollar value of your property that is attributable to exchange rate uncertainty.
    Suppose that you hold a piece of land in the City of London that you may want to sell in one year. As a U.S. resident, you are concerned with the dollar value of the land. Assume that, if the British economy booms in the future, the land will be worth £20 and one British pound will be worth $1.29. If the British economy slows down, on the other hand, the land will be worth less, i.e., £24 million, but the pound will be stronger, i.e., $1.4/£. You feel that the British economy will experience a boom with a 70% probability and a slow-down with the remaining probability. Estimate the exposure b to the exchange risk. (USD, no cents)
    Explain why you agree or disagree with the following statements: A country’s currency will appreciate if its inflation rate is less than that of the rest of the world.
    • SEE MORE QUESTIONS
    Recommended textbooks for you
  • MACROECONOMICS
    Economics
    ISBN:9781337794985
    Author:Baumol
    Publisher:CENGAGE L
    Economics: Private and Public Choice (MindTap Cou...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506725
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Microeconomics: Private and Public Choice (MindTa...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506893
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
  • Macroeconomics: Private and Public Choice (MindTa...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506756
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Brief Principles of Macroeconomics (MindTap Cours...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781337091985
    Author:N. Gregory Mankiw
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Principles of Economics 2e
    Economics
    ISBN:9781947172364
    Author:Steven A. Greenlaw; David Shapiro
    Publisher:OpenStax
  • MACROECONOMICS
    Economics
    ISBN:9781337794985
    Author:Baumol
    Publisher:CENGAGE L
    Economics: Private and Public Choice (MindTap Cou...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506725
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Microeconomics: Private and Public Choice (MindTa...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506893
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Macroeconomics: Private and Public Choice (MindTa...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781305506756
    Author:James D. Gwartney, Richard L. Stroup, Russell S. Sobel, David A. Macpherson
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Brief Principles of Macroeconomics (MindTap Cours...
    Economics
    ISBN:9781337091985
    Author:N. Gregory Mankiw
    Publisher:Cengage Learning
    Principles of Economics 2e
    Economics
    ISBN:9781947172364
    Author:Steven A. Greenlaw; David Shapiro
    Publisher:OpenStax