preview

A Brief Look at Lung Cancer Essays

Best Essays
The topic that was picked for this Pathophysiology paper is lung cancer. This topic was picked because a lot of people in the United States smoke but why? When this most likely will happen. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States including both men and women. The American cancer society estimates 186,000 new cases of lung cancer are diagnosed each year and more than 165,000 deaths are because of it. The biggest cause of Lung Cancer relating it too 85% of cases is tobacco smoke, because of the repeated exposure to the inhaled substance. And don’t forget about second hand smoke! (Ignatavicius- workman Medical surgical nursing book 7th edition) First this paper is going to tell what to assess for in a patient…show more content…
Up to 25% of people with Lung Cancer don’t have symptoms, the other 75% of people do have symptoms such as; a new cough, or a cough that doesn’t go away, or changes is a good sign. Or with smokers they sometimes have chronic coughing and if it changes in how severe it is or how often they cough that could be a red flag. Chest, shoulder, and back pain that also does not go away and gets worse with deep breathing is also a sign.
New wheezing, shortness of breath, hoarseness, coughing up blood, swelling in the neck and face, difficulty swallowing, weight loss and no appetite, fatigue and weakness, clubbing of the fingers. (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=52889). Areas of tenderness or masses may be felt when palpating the chest wall. Increased vibrations felt on the chest wall indicates areas of the lung where air spaces are filled with a tumor or fluid. Lung areas with masses sound dull and flat rather than hollow on chest percussion. Breath sounds may change with a tumor in place. Wheezes will indicate obstruction of airflow, decreased or absent breath sounds will indicate complete obstruction of airway by a tumor or fluid. A pleural friction rub may be heard when inflammation also is present. Lung cancer may also effect other systems of the body like heart sounds could be muffled by a tumor or fluid around the heart. Bones will lose density with a tumor in
Get Access