English As A Global Language

1923 Words Dec 11th, 2014 8 Pages
HM6206 – World Englishes – Question One, English as a Global Language
Caitlin Leslie – s1203568

In a public poll on debate.org the question ‘Should English Be The World Language’ was posed, as of the date of access (10.12.2014) the figures stood at 53% saying ‘yes’ and the remaining 47% voting ‘no’. The justification for voting ‘no’ all seems to stem from a lack of diversity, removal of culture and the difficulty of enforcing such a regulation. Those who placed a ‘yes’ vote went on to reason that English was already on its way and that it was an easy language to learn and gave shocking disregard for non-native speakers of the language. It seems to be that the vast majority of those in favour of making English a global language are already native speakers of it (http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-english-be-the-world-language).

In order to predict the possible futures for English as a global language it is imperative we look back in history, the formation of the language, the spread of the language. Which social, political and economic factors meant English would thrive and others would fall behind. The very fabric of life is embedded in pattern and the rise and fall of languages is no different, applying the systems that we’ve seen in the past to modern day will enable us to extrapolate the future paths of languages across the planet far into our social future.

In 1922 when the British Empire was at its height it covered a quarter of the land mass on Earth, populating…

More about English As A Global Language

Open Document