preview

Persuasive Essay On Food

Decent Essays
9.5 billion, that's how many people we will be feeding in the year 2050. Production numbers will have to increase by 100%, in order to achieve this 70% will come from technology and the remaining 30% will have to come from decreasing food loss and waste, better management of natural resources, consumer education, and alternatives to conventional livestock.
Feeding a world population that is projected to increase by over 2 billion, will be a challenge when there is an extreme amount of food loss and waste occurring daily. Most of the consumers in the world are unaware that “roughly one third of the food produced in the world for human consumption” is wasted (FAO). If food loss and waste was substantially decreased, the amount of available food would significantly increase. Global food loss and waste per year are roughly “30% for cereals, 40-50% for root crops, fruits and vegetables, 20% for oil seeds, meat and dairy plus 35% for fish” (Megatrends in Food). By creating limits on food waste, the top contributors such as North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America would create a more efficient transportation system to deliver produce quickly, increase shelf life, and reuse food waste. Creating a more efficient transportation system, will allow produce to arrive at the desired destination faster which will increase the products’ shelf life. This will create less food loss from spoiling on the transportation vehicles or on store’s shelves. Another important factor is reusing
Get Access