preview

The Pros And Cons Of Supporting The California Almond Industry

Better Essays
A multitude of alternatives exist when debating whether or not to continue supporting the California almond industry or aid in the protest of the water resource strain that plagues California. Two effective alternatives to this issue would be to import produce from other countries to continue supplying almond milk but at the same time choose not to “contribute” to the drought issue in California or to use other domestically produced milk alternatives that are less water intensive. The United States, or more specifically California, accounts for roughly 80% of almond production worldwide, with 720,000 tonnes of almonds having been produced in 2012. The other 20% of the world's almond production originates from countries such as Spain, which…show more content…
One cup of unsweetened almond milk has 30 calories whereas one cup of skim milk has 90 calories. Whether you get skim milk, one percent, or two percent, almond milk will have less calories. Even the sweetened vanilla flavoured almond milk available is 90 calories per cup. Nowadays protein is an important topic. Almonds have always been known to have a high protein content but when it comes to milk, a cow's milk is a much better protein source. Protein is very beneficial to your health including the growth of muscles. One cup of skim milk from a cow contains approximately eight gram of protein. Whereas one cup of almond milk contains a mere one gram of protein. Many people are concerned about carbs, and when it comes to carbs unsweetened almond milk is the clear victor. One cup of almond milk only has one gram of carbohydrates versus the twelve grams in regular skim milk. Each different kind of milk offers a variety of essential nutrients but almond has the added benefit of being lactose…show more content…
For the sole purpose of the economical benefits, Hu’s Kitchen should continue to sell almond milk because it provides numerous jobs in the United States. In fact, over one hundred thousand jobs in California, are created from the almond industry (Fujii, 2014). Every year, the state’s almond industry supplies eleven billion dollars to California’s gross domestic product (Kasler, n.d.). In addition to the gross domestic product, the almond industry generates twenty one billion dollars in economic revenue (Sauer, 2014). Due to the fact that California produces eighty percent of the world’s almonds, this industry requires farmers to keep up with the demand from the consumers. Thus, over eight hundred thousand acres of farmland are used to produce the almonds, as seventy percent of the almonds are exported overseas (Pierson,
    Get Access