menu
bartleby
search
close search
Hit Return to see all results

Problem 3, Colquhoun (2014) claimed that, "if you use p=0.05 to suggest that you have made adiscovery, you will be wrong at least 30% of the time." He uses the following example.Suppose you pick a drug at random from 1000 candidate drugs and run a randomized controlled trial todetermine whether the drug truly is effective. You perform a hypothesis test that has a significance levelof 0.05 and a power of 0.8.A Write the null and alternative hypothesis for this hypothesis test, using words only (no math).BWhat is the probability of committing a Type l Error on this single hypothesis test?C. hat is the probability of committing a Type Il Error on this single hypothesis test?D. If you independently run experiments and hypothesis tests for four drugs, what is theprobability of committing at least one Type l Error when performing the four hypothesistests?E. 10% of the drugs truly have an effect, and the other 90% are no different from placebo. Find theprobability that your randomly chosen drug has an effect, given that you rejected the nullhypothesis

Question
Problem 3, Colquhoun (2014) claimed that, "if you use p=0.05 to suggest that you have made a
discovery, you will be wrong at least 30% of the time." He uses the following example.
Suppose you pick a drug at random from 1000 candidate drugs and run a randomized controlled trial to
determine whether the drug truly is effective. You perform a hypothesis test that has a significance level
of 0.05 and a power of 0.8.
A Write the null and alternative hypothesis for this hypothesis test, using words only (no math).
B
What is the probability of committing a Type l Error on this single hypothesis test?
C. hat is the probability of committing a Type Il Error on this single hypothesis test?
D. If you independently run experiments and hypothesis tests for four drugs, what is the
probability of committing at least one Type l Error when performing the four hypothesistests?
E. 10% of the drugs truly have an effect, and the other 90% are no different from placebo. Find the
probability that your randomly chosen drug has an effect, given that you rejected the nullhypothesis
help_outline

Image Transcriptionclose

Problem 3, Colquhoun (2014) claimed that, "if you use p=0.05 to suggest that you have made a discovery, you will be wrong at least 30% of the time." He uses the following example. Suppose you pick a drug at random from 1000 candidate drugs and run a randomized controlled trial to determine whether the drug truly is effective. You perform a hypothesis test that has a significance level of 0.05 and a power of 0.8. A Write the null and alternative hypothesis for this hypothesis test, using words only (no math). B What is the probability of committing a Type l Error on this single hypothesis test? C. hat is the probability of committing a Type Il Error on this single hypothesis test? D. If you independently run experiments and hypothesis tests for four drugs, what is the probability of committing at least one Type l Error when performing the four hypothesistests? E. 10% of the drugs truly have an effect, and the other 90% are no different from placebo. Find the probability that your randomly chosen drug has an effect, given that you rejected the nullhypothesis

fullscreen
check_circleAnswer
Step 1

Hello. Since your question has multiple sub-parts, we will solve the first three sub-parts for you. If you want remaining sub-parts to be solved, then please resubmit the whole question and specify those sub-parts you want us to solve.

A.

The null and alternative hypothesis of the test are:

Null hypothesis (Ho) : The drug has no effect.

Alternative hypothesis (H1) : The drug is effective.

Step 2

B.

The significance level is the probability of committing type I error.

In the above case, significance level is 0.05.

...

Want to see the full answer?

See Solution

Check out a sample Q&A here.

Want to see this answer and more?

Our solutions are written by experts, many with advanced degrees, and available 24/7

See Solution
Tagged in

Math

Statistics

Hypothesis Testing

Related Statistics Q&A

Find answers to questions asked by student like you

Show more Q&A add
question_answer

Q: Rolling Two Dice  If two dice are rolled one time, find the probability of getting these results A. ...

A: Hello there! There are more than 3 sub-parts in the question shared. According to our policies canno...

question_answer

Q: The flow in a river can be modeled as a log-normal distribution. From the data, it was estimated tha...

A: According to the given question, the flow in a river can be modeled as a log-normal distribution. Fr...

question_answer

Q: In a survey of 6000 women, 3431 say they change their nail polish once a week. Construct a 99% confi...

A: Confidence interval:The (1-α) % confidence interval for proportion p is given by, 

question_answer

Q: A student takes a multiple choice test that has 11 questions. Each question has four choices. The st...

A: Identifying the distribution:It is given that the student takes a multiple choice test that has 11 q...

question_answer

Q: A contingency table for injuries in the United states, by circumstances and gender, is a follows. Fr...

A: Calculation for part (a):The contingency table is given for injuries.For any event A, the probabilit...

question_answer

Q: What is a sampling distribution? What do we know about the shape and characteistics of the sampling ...

A: In a statistical investigation, we try to asses a general problem respect to one or more characteris...

question_answer

Q: Given a standardized normal distrubtion (with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1, as in Table...

A: Standard normal distribution:The standard normal distribution is a special case of normal distributi...

question_answer

Q: Make a frequency table, a pie chart, and a bar plot for the following data for patients' blood types...

A: Frequency distribution:The number of times each value of X repeats is the frequency of that particul...

question_answer

Q: A population has a mean of 15 and standard deviation of 3. Round the answers to two decimal places a...

A: Let X be the observation. X follows normal distribution with mean μ = 15 and the standard deviation ...

Sorry about that. What wasn’t helpful?