95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol denatured) Shampoo Pantene Laundry detergent Sam’s Club Brand Dishwashing Liquid Great Value Brand Balance 3 200 mL graduated beakers 1 100 mL beaker 270 grams of kiwi Kitchen utensils 1 funnel Ice Filter paper and coffee filter paper Hot Water Two saucepans or other large containers Table salt 9 test tube Hot plate Eye dropper pH paper
DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid. DNA is the set of nongenetic traits, qualities, or features that characterize a person or other living thing. Extracting DNA helps understand different types of genes, as there are 500 different types of genes in total and counting. DNA can be found everywhere. In every cell, in every…show more content…
Liberating the DNA:
1. Prepare the ice bowl by putting ice and water into a pan about 5 to 8 cm deep. Put 50 mL of chilled ethanol into the 100mL beaker and place the beaker in the ice bowl.
2. Let’s start the DNA extraction solution. Put 90 mL of water in a 200 mL beaker and dissolve 2 grams of salt. Then add 10 mL of detergent and stir until mixed.
3. Get the kiwi and peel it, then cut it into chunks.
4. Measure 30 grams of strawberry chunks, then thoroughly mash the chunks properly.
5. The mashed strawberry must be placed in a 200-mL beaker.
6. 5 mL of the DNA extraction solution must be poured over the fruit.
7. Prepare a hot water bath by putting hot water into a saucepan about 5 to 8 cm deep. Check the temperature of the hot water bath. It must stay at a 50° C temperature.
8. Place the beaker with the strawberry and extraction solution into the hot water bowl. Let the fruit and extraction solution set in the hot water bath for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir the solution. The temperature of the water bath must be at 50°C at all times.
9. After 10 or 15 minutes, transfer the beaker containing the fruit and extraction solution mixture to the ice bath. Allow it to stay there for 5 minutes,