Nokia Forms 3G Joint Venture in China Essay

7753 Words32 Pages
Nokia and China Puritan have committed to forming a joint venture in China focused on 3G, or more specifically, TD-SCDMA (time division-synchronous code division multiple access) and W-CDMA.

The joint venture will focus on research and development, manufacturing and sales of 3G network systems. The JV will begin offering its first TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA systems next year under China Puritan's Potevio label.

The TD-SCDMA standard is being billed as a Chinese alternative to 3G.

In addition to 3G services, the venture also will offer network construction and optimization services, Nokia says.

The companies intend to invest $107 million in the venture, in which Nokia will hold a 49 percent interest. China Puritan will hold the rights
…show more content…
In May, Nokia rival Ericsson announced it was teaming with ZTE to further TD-SCMDA in China. At the time of the announcement, Ericsson committed to integrating ZTE's TD-SCDMA Node B into its radio access network. The deal included both hardware and software.
Nokia and China Puritan have committed to forming a joint venture in China focused on 3G, or more specifically, TD-SCDMA (time division-synchronous code division multiple access) and W-CDMA.

The joint venture will focus on research and development, manufacturing and sales of 3G network systems. The JV will begin offering its first TD-SCDMA and W-CDMA systems next year under China Puritan's Potevio label.

The TD-SCDMA standard is being billed as a Chinese alternative to 3G.

In addition to 3G services, the venture also will offer network construction and optimization services, Nokia says.

The companies intend to invest $107 million in the venture, in which Nokia will hold a 49 percent interest. China Puritan will hold the rights to the remaining 51 percent.

Nokia will continue to offer W-CDMA products under its own brand around the world, including China.

This is not the first 3G joint-venture deal China Puritan has announced this year. In January, the Chinese company announced its plan to form a joint venture with Nortel. The companies said they would cooperate on the research and development, manufacture and sale of 3G equipment and services to the Chinese
Get Access