Sepsis : A Systemic And Response Of The Immune System

1244 Words5 Pages

Sepsis is a systemic over response of the immune system, due to an infection that the body tries to fight. This leads to reduced blood flow to vital organs such as the kidneys and the heart, which often results in multiple organ failure with the possibility of death.
Sepsis can develop into septic shock which is the point where the patient’s blood pressure drops to a dangerous level due to the presence of bacteria in the body.
Patients diagnosed with sever sepsis have a 20-30% chance of death, whilst those diagnosed with septic shock have an even higher percentage of death at 40 – 70% (Lever, Mackenzie, 2007) Research into sepsis has found that up to 50 people in a small population of 100000 will die of sepsis. (Dombrovskiy VY, Martin AA, Sunderram J, Paz HL, 2007) In 2016 sepsis is one of the top killers ranked to be in the top 10 causes of death (Martin GS, Mannino DM, Eaton S, Moss M 2003)
Those most at risk of developing sepsis include infants, the elderly, patients with a weak immune system and those with a severe infection. Infants are at risk as their immune system may not have fully developed yet, and the elderly’s immune system may not be fully effective. This lack of fully functioning immune system means the body cannot efficiently fight the infection in the body, allowing the infection to spread. Patients with a weak immune system may include cancer patients.
Below is a graph showing the percent of sepsis-related deaths for different age groups.

More about Sepsis : A Systemic And Response Of The Immune System

Get Access