The Akron Art Museum

912 Words Feb 17th, 2018 4 Pages
The once 1899 Akron post office section of the museum houses the local and global pieces of Impressionistic art from the 1850s. The original building is wrapped with a deep red brick and limestone with triangular pediments and pilasters. In 2007, Coop Himmelb(l)au’s architect Wolf D. Prix juxtaposed a new structure titled the Knight building with an obvious theory of contemporary modernity. The knight Building was constructed directly beside the old post office. Instead of demolishing the history, the museum’s design is to embrace the past with the future. The original art museum was first opened on February 1, 1922. It was formerly titled as the Akron Art Institute. The institute was located in the basement of the Akron Public Library. The museum was run solely on volunteers due to limited economic funding and finances. The institute offered art classes and exhibitions of local artistry. In 1937, the institute moved into a historic mansion that was soon engulfed in fire. The fire ruined most of the collections and mansion. However, in the museum’s own words, the institute “phoenix-like, from the ashes with a professional staff and a new *Akron Art
Focus: fine art and design. Strengthening the fine art collection became a goal,…

More about The Akron Art Museum