Bio & Anthro

1721 Words7 Pages
1.) In a plant having two carried alleles for the color of a flower in a gene, with P for purple and p for white, the three possible combinations which might exist in any one plant are PP making a purple plant, pp to make a white plant, or Pp resulting in a ‘hybrid’ plant. 2.) Out of the genotypes PP, Pp, pp, the resultant flower colors are (as described above in exercise 1) are purple (for PP,) purple or purplish-white (for Pp- likely purple as it is dominant, or a mixture of the colors,) or white (for the case of pp.) PP and pp, the purple and white flowers, are referred to as homozygous. In the case of PP this is homozygous dominant, and in the case of pp this is homozygous recessive. The case of Pp must be considered different, and is…show more content…
Answering the second question, there is a 50 percent chance of a colorblind son; answering the third question, there is a 25 percent change of colorblind daughter. (Fourth:) There is a change of normal vision: a 25 percent of a carrier. (Fifth:) According to the square, there is no chance of a normal son. 7.) A: The genotypes are TTCC, TTCc, TtCC, and TtCc. B: The genotypes are ttCC and ttCC. C: The genotypes are TTcc and Ttcc. D: This genotype would be ttcc. E: This genotype would be TtCc. F: Such a person could produce TT, Tt, tt, CC, Cc, and cc gametes. Critical questions 1.) The difference between incomplete dominance and codominance is the level of sharing. In codominance the dominant trait is shared, while in incomplete dominance the dominant is not completely expressed in the genotype. Though the result may be similar in the phenotype, the cause of this is different, which is a reason that this concept is so important to understand. 2.) When a trait is sex linked, this means that it is linked to the chromosome of the gender. This does not mean the trait is passed through sex (however it is,) but rather refers to the X and Y chromosomes. Some traits are only specific to Y chromosomes or a combination of X and Y (or not be expressed when only on
Open Document