preview

Guidelines For Increasing Reliability Of A Student Athlete

Better Essays
Chapter III

Methodology

Definition of Terms

Participants

Roles of the Researchers

Intervention

Data Collection

Plan for Increasing Reliability

Plan for Increasing Validity

Definition of Terms
1. Athlete. A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
2. Collegiate/student athlete. A student-athlete is a student whose enrollment was solicited by a member of the athletics staff or other representative of athletic interests with a view toward the student’s ultimate participation in the intercollegiate athletics program. Any other student becomes a student-athlete only when the
…show more content…
6. Micronutrient. An essential nutrient, as a mineral or vitamin, that is required by an organism in minute amounts.
7. Professional athlete. A professional athlete is one who receives any kind of payment, directly or indirectly, for athletic participation except as permitted by the governing legislation of the Association for the participation in athletics
8. Sports nutrition. Nutrition that can help maximize athletic performance, prevent injury, enhance recovery from exercise, achieve and maintain optimal body weight, improve daily training workouts, and maintain overall good health.
9. Training table. A table in a dining hall that where athletes are provided with special meals to aid their conditioning.

Participants
Our study included a 109 varsity athletes from UC Merced athletic department. The athletic training staff of UC Merced was contacted to participate for the collection of subject data. Female athletes accounted for 51.4% of the subjects and males the remaining 48.6%. The average age of all athletes was 19.7. Of the athlete respondents, 68.8% live off campus, and the remaining 31.2% live on campus. Thirteen varsity sports were represented in the study. The number of participating athletes for each sport is noted in the list below.
Sport Frequency Percent (%)
Men’s cross country (17) 15.6%
Women’s cross country (16) 14.7%
Women’s Softball (15) 13.8%
Men’s Volleyball (11) 10.1%
Men’s Soccer (10) 9.2%
Get Access