For the given details of
, it should be determined how long it will take for the activity of implanted
seeds to fall 5.00% of their original value.
- Unstable nuclei emit radiation spontaneously to become stable nuclei by losing energy. This process of emission of radiation by unstable nuclei is known as radioactive decay.
- These emitted radiations may be alpha radiations(
), beta radiations(
) or gamma radiations(
- These unstable nuclei are the nuclei with more than 83 protons and which do not lie within the belt of stability.
- Radioactive decay are in the first order kinetics. Rate of radioactive decay at a time t is,
Suppose the number of radioactive nuclei at time zero is
and at a time t is
- Half-life of radioactive decay is the time required for a radioactive sample to decay to one half of the atomic nucleus.
Half-life of the radiation,
Half-life and rate constant for radioactive isotopes vary greatly from nucleus to nucleus.
To determine: The time taken for the activity of implanted
seeds to fall 5.00% of their original value