Interpretation: The constituents of wine contain carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms. A bottle of wine was sealed about six years ago. It should be found the isotope that used to determine the age of wine bottle.
- Unstable nuclei emit radiation spontaneously to become stable nuclei by losing energy. This process of emission of radiation by unstable nuclei is known as radioactive decay
- These emitted radiations may be alpha radiations(
), beta radiations(
) or gamma radiations(
- These unstable nuclei are the nuclei with more than 83 protons and which do not lie within the belt of stability.
- Radioactive decay is in the first order kinetics. Rate of radioactive decay at a time t is,
Suppose the number of radioactive nuclei at time zero is
and at a time t is
- Half-life of radioactive decay is the time required for a radioactive sample to decay to one half of the atomic nucleus.
Half-life of the radiation,
Half-life and rate constant for radioactive isotopes vary greatly from nucleus to nucleus.
To find: the isotope that used to determine the age of wine bottle