BuyFindarrow_forward

College Physics

11th Edition
Raymond A. Serway + 1 other
ISBN: 9781305952300

Solutions

Chapter
Section
BuyFindarrow_forward

College Physics

11th Edition
Raymond A. Serway + 1 other
ISBN: 9781305952300
Textbook Problem

A 75-kg sprinter accelerates from rest to a speed of 11.0 m/s in 5.0 s. (a) Calculate the mechanical work done by the sprinter during this time. (b) Calculate the average power the sprinter must generate. (c) If the sprinter converts food energy to mechanical energy with an efficiency of 25%, at what average rate is he burning Calories? (d) What happens to the other 75% of the food energy being used?

(a)

To determine
The mechanical work done by the sprinter.

Explanation

Given Info: mass of the sprinter is 75 kg, speed of the sprinter is 11.0 m/s and time is 5.0 s.

Mechanical work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the sprinter.

W=ΔKE

  • W is the mechanical work done,
  • ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy,

Formula for the change in kinetic energy is,

ΔKE=12m(vf2vi2)

  • m is the mass of the sprinter,
  • vi is the initial velocity of the sprinter,
  • vf is the final velocity of the sprinter,

Use 12m(vf2vi2) for ΔKE to rewrite W

(b)

To determine
The average power the sprinter must generate.

(c)

To determine
The average rate of burning of Calories.

(d)

To determine
What happens to the other 75% of the food energy.

Still sussing out bartleby?

Check out a sample textbook solution.

See a sample solution

The Solution to Your Study Problems

Bartleby provides explanations to thousands of textbook problems written by our experts, many with advanced degrees!

Get Started

Additional Science Solutions

Find more solutions based on key concepts

Show solutions add

This controversy addresses accusations launched against sugars in foods and beverages as causes of health probl...

Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies - Standalone book (MindTap Course List)

Why does the expansion of a stars envelope make it cooler and more luminous?

Horizons: Exploring the Universe (MindTap Course List)

Differentiate between a ketonemia, b ketonuria, c acetone breath, and d ketosis.

Chemistry for Today: General, Organic, and Biochemistry

What are sister chromatids?

Human Heredity: Principles and Issues (MindTap Course List)

For which of the following vectors is the magnitude of the vector equal to one of the components of the vector?...

Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Technology Update (No access codes included)